CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, September 21, 2006

A New Toy To Play With!!!

Yesterday I got home to find a new toy awaiting me! The day before my birthday I made my last big purchase for a while...a new lens for my camera. I was debating which lens to purchase and had a few in mind including a 28mm - 80mm, 70mm - 300mm, and a 28mm - 135mm.Well, I ended up going with the 28mm - 135mm, which is the same one that Kevan has. Not that I'm trying to be just like Kevan (though we do now have the same camera, same lenses, and the same photographic eye!) but I really felt that this one is the true "work horse" of the options available. A few of reasons why:

  1. It gives you a fairly good wide angle (though not nearly as good as the 18mm - 55mm kit lens included with the camera
  2. It gives you a fairly decent telephoto
  3. Weight-wise it's fairly light and will be good to carry on hikes and whatnot
  4. It has an Image Stabilization feature that means I need to worry less and less about carrying a tripod around with me (cursed tripod!)
  5. You get the most "bang for your buck" compared to the other lenses
I haven't had a chance to really test it out yet, hoping to do that this weekend since the weather is supposed to be nice. If anyone has any suggestions on how to properly check a used lens for defects please comment back.

Sorry for the photo-geek post...I'm just stoked about it!

D

3 comments:

Stacey said...

oooooo....ahhhhh...neato toy! I think there will be hours of fun with that one!

Woosters said...

*laughs* I love Stacey's comment! What are the specs on your DSLR anyway Duane? I'm looking at investing in one probably next year (saving my birthday money and other monetary gifts)... so may be longer than a year.. but hey, it's a goal right? :o)

Duane Clemens said...

I've got a Canon 20D which is about 8.3MP. I would look at what you're planning on doing with your new camera and then investing in something that fits those needs. If you're looking to just shoot stuff and maybe blow pictures up to 11x14 at the maximum then I would probably invest in a Rebel in the 7-8MP range. If you're looking to go bigger and have more options with your shots, get a higher-end camera like the 20D or 30D (which should come down in price then).

Where you want to spend your money is not in the camera itself but in your lenses. They are the major determining factor in how well your pictures are going to turn out. One of the really nice benefits of going with a Canon camera is they work on a system called EOS and the lenses are interchangeable between different models (so if you had a Rebel, you could use this lens I bought on it without problem).