CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 04, 2006

Goin' Ghetto

I'd like to start with a disclaimer: the word "ghetto" isn't meant to offend, and I apologize if that happens. I think that I automatically associate the word "ghetto" with cellophaned windows...not sure why!

Duane decided last week during the cold snap that he'd take back our power. Literally. The heating bill we've incurred during the cold weather has been ridiculous!! We had our thermostat in our house at 22-25 constantly, and the actual temp in our house has only been 18!! Since our house was built in the 1940s or 1950s it only has single paned windows an the drafts from them sure are cold! The door frames are pretty bad too, but cellophaning ourselves in our house sure won't solve anything :) Anyway, Duane eventually found that the biggest source of heat loss was from our fireplace. The flue was closed, but the Arctic blast of air was coming from the vents at the bottom of the fireplace. We've covered the hearth with blankets and towels to prevent anymore heat loss from there! Very aesthetically pleasing. Right. Whatever.
Here are some shots of Duane and our plasticized windows. You'll notice I'm not in any of these pictures, and that was because I REALLY didn't want to be a part of the plastic windows...especially because it was sleepytime!! It did happen to be the coldest night that week(-40 something), so Duane figured it was smartest to get it done while it was actually cold. Brrrr! You'll notice I DID contribute, however. That's my hairdryer.


~K~

2 comments:

Duane Clemens said...

The more I see myself in pictures like this the more I see my father coming out in me! Lord help us all! Just kidding, love you dad! (I don't think he reads our blog anyway)

D

Stacey said...

Wow! That sucks about the cold...I won't complain to much about our crazy snow storm or our -18 weather!