CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

God's Throwing a Curveball My Way!

At this point I've been at my new job two weeks, and some of you probably didn't even know I had one! I haven't had a chance to post about it, and now that I have time to post about it, it may not even exist after Christmas!! Let me explain.
A month ago I gave my two weeks notice at HandiBus to pursue a position in a special needs Jr/Sr Highschool here in Calgary. I was excited about this new venture, but sad to leave my young children who I'd grown to love. They're so enthusiastic, creative, and full of life! Well, I figured that since I got through the somewhat greuling interview with the Calgary Board of Education, I was prepared to step out of my comfort zone and try something new. Off I went two weeks later to Christine Meikle School to my first day as a lunchroom supervisor. Classy, I know. I was assigned two classrooms, two teachers, 5 Ed. Assistants, and 18 students. Whew! Both classrooms don't eat in the actual lunchroom(gym), they eat in their classrooms so as not to be distracted by things around them...that kept me running back and forth between rooms 4 and 7!! The Ed Assistants and teachers(a few at a time) go off for their lunch breaks while I'm there, and the other few stay around to help with all the wild children. Not like I could handle them all on my own; most of them are twice as tall as me...intimidating!! I never know what's coming from one minute to the next. My first day consisted of me observing and wandering around trying to figure out who does what and what I should be doing! Day two was memorable. I got punched in the nose. Yup. I should get hazard pay. Apparently I was lucky that he didn't break my nose...great...watch out for that kid. One of the Ed Assistants told me that in her first year as a lunch supervisor she was punched in the head and knocked out cold...and lost a tooth from it all! Good grief. Yup, lovin' my job! Hmmmm. Maybe not so much. My first Friday happened to be a Pro Day, so that was lovely...no students, just the teachers, Ed Assistants and lunchroom people. Does seem odd that the lunchroom people would have to be there when there are no kids to work with, but I guess because we're all on salary, we have to still make up our time. I did things like cutting up labels and cleaning, and wandering around the school looking like I knew what I was doing. It was a lovely waste of an hour. Yes, I only went in for an hour(instead of my full two...now I owe them time) because that was the day after I had spent a couple hours late into the night at the emergency clinic downtown.
The next week started well with me getting hit, open handed, by a rather large student who seemed to think it was ok to take out the side of my head with her hand, and later on pull my hair! Ouch. I had never met her, didn't know who she was or what her issue may have been, but I was rather shocked. That Friday went well. Probably the smoothest of all my days there so far. I was back and forth between classes with ease, and got lots accomplished, dealt with the students well, and was given a vote of confidence from one of my coworkers. I had told her I was upset about leaving my HandiBus kids, and wasn't sure if highschool aged kids is where I wanted to be. She told me I was handling the kids very well, and out of the lunchroom people she'd met over the years, she could tell I was one who has a way with the tough kids. I had really felt like I had given up my authority that I had with the preschool kids, and had become a peon being told what to do all the time and running my behind off between classes. I dunno. I'm just not enjoying myself.
Here's the curveball.
I got home from my Cardinal shift this morning, and Duane had news for me. Susan had called from HandiBus offering me a full time position from January until June(when we move)!! Wow. Ok, so I work at a job I loved for two and a half years waiting for full time, and when it doesn't come available, I branch out to try something new...get approved, start the new job, decide I don't like it but have to stick with it anyway, and then get offered a full time job back where I want to be!! Wonderful. My discerning skills really aren't so great. Is it God telling me, "Ok Karyn, you stepped out of your comfort zone and went for something you weren't sure about, and now I'm going to make the job you want available." Or is it, "Karyn, you went for it, got the new job...don't really enjoy it, but I want you to stick with it anyway, even when what you want is available. Don't give up."
What do I do? The hours are better, the pay is better(therefore the possibility of a better mortgage is there), I'd get one paycheque, only have to pay attention to Pro Days for one school instead of 2, I have a regular bus driver who knows the run(WOOHOO!!!), and I'd only have to deal with wearing the stupid uniform until we move.
HHHMMMMM.....
Gotta go avoid getting punched in the head now...

~K~

4 comments:

Jemma said...

so if you are getting punched in the face at the christian school, what is it like at public schools I wonder? is christian middle school the same school Joni works at?

Jenna

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! That's so unreal that handibus is offering you FULL TIME! Ah! Definitely something to be praying about.... to me it seems like the obvious thing would be to quit the job where you're getting hit in the head and go to the one you love and have been waiting for!! But I can totally see what you're saying.. you want to be where GOD wants you... 'cause something that can look perfect will end up not being right if God is actually wanting you somewhere else. BAHH!! So you guys are for sure moving in June?!?!??!?! *jumping up and down* What's happening with the house and lot thing?
-Beanie

Stacey said...

Hmm Karyn, I see the dilema! Like Carene said, PRAY! But if it were up to me I would say quite the violent job and go back to full time and make better money and get a better chunk put away for a mortgage!! Keep my posted on the results and this house in salmon arm business!!

Woosters said...

Yayyyy! I'm so glad you took the handibus job! Oh wait... you haven't posted that yet, I just got your MSN message last night te he. It sure seems like a good thing.

So yeh, what's happening with the house in Salmon Arm business? Huh? huh?