CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Suck It Up, Princess...Duane's Fav. Phrase

It's been a solid month now since I've been without work, and while it's sorta been nice to just adjust to our new lives in Fernie, I'm starting to feel the pressure.
It's hard when I've sorta been floating through life (or so it seems) for the last 27 years and then all of a sudden I'm in a small town and have to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life! I've been resisting getting just any job because I want to find "the" job...the "right" job. If you know me, you know that I absolutely hate the job searching process! It seems to have been accented now that I'm in a small town and there's not all that much out there that I'm interested in! There are lot of "whatever" jobs, but nothing long term, career type, full time jobs that I could be proud of myself for attaining. I'm on EI for the first time in my life (partially because I also hate, despise and resist filling out forms!), and while I haven't even received my first cheque, it's about time for me to be done with EI...though I suppose it isn't such a bad thing...meh.
Anyway...I've decided that all I really want to do is work with kids, and there are definitely kids here in the valley! However, my desire to help special needs kids may not be utilized as much as it would be in Calgary...but I've got to take what I can get, I guess!
In order for me to get into the school system here in Fernie I need a piece of paper to say that I'm "qualified" education-wise...soooo...that means, my friends, I'm going back to school!! This is slightly more than daunting. Like, a lot. This Education Assistant program is demanding and intense. Apparently this program used to be a 2 year program and they've compacted it into TEN MONTHS!! Yeah, I'd say intensive. Yikes. Being that I'm not a huge study-crazy super student, this is pretty freaky for me to wrap my mind around. I didn't even finish Bible college for Pete's sake! It was recommended to me that I extend the 10 months into a year or so in order to have a life outside of school work, but we'll see. At the same time I plan to have my name on the unqualified substitute ed. assistant list at the school board so I can earn some money during the time I'm in school. It seems strange to me that they'd allow uncertified people work in the school system here, but it benefits me at the moment...so all power to them! :) I figure if I'm doing the college program at the same time as I'm working in the schools, I can immediately apply what I've been learning to my job! Convenient, I say!
So here I am scared about returning to school at 27, but excited at the same time because of the opportunity to get into a long term career helping children :)
This next year is going to be CRAZY!! Never mind moving to a new place, finding a new church, making new friends and attempting to integrate myself into the community by joining a soccer team and whatever else might come my way, but how's about I return to school at the same time?? Special. Way to make your life hectic, Karyn. Oh well...what's that phrase...C'est la vie??

That's life..so suck it up, Princess!

~K~

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Karyn! I am delighted for you - I think the EA would be the perfect position for you. And if you think your skills won't be used here -think again! My mother-in-law works at the highschool and spends 90% of her time with a student that is in a wheel chair. There is plenty of need for someone with your skills! And as to the unqualified list - they are so desperate for subs here that they'll basically take a warm body just to be in the classroom! I am super happy that you are going back to school - cause it makes me feel better about myself - after all - I am only 22 and going back to school! I'm sorry. That might be construed as mean. Good for you for sucking it up! You're going to be great!

Stacey said...

27! Meh! That is nothing! You go girl! And you will do great!!! I know how intense school can be..take it from me you can persevere it's only 10 months! Work hard and then reap the benefits. You will be fantastic with kids as an EA! DOOOOO IT!!! :)

Karyn Clemens said...

Thanks guys :)

Q&Z said...

Woo hoo! Think of school as an emotional investment. Eventually going to work happy and loving your career... rather than watching the clock all day long and hating your work situation. Good luck!