CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, March 07, 2009

'Til We Meet Again

(As I've lost all of my pictures of gramps, this is the only one I was able to retrieve, but I like it)


Today my grandpa went home to be with Jesus. We are so relieved that he is finally free from his pain and discomfort. Grandpa was a good man who lived a long (89 years!), full life, and he was more than ready to go. Along with dementia, grandpa was plagued with other illnesses like congenital heart failure, partial lung collapse, lung cancer (probably from breathing asbestos during his many years as a carpenter), a few bouts of pneumonia along the way and who knows what all else.
I left Calgary yesterday late afternoon after visiting with grandpa for a few days. Fittingly, as I was preparing to leave the song on the Mormon Tabernacle Choir CD switched to " 'Til We Meet Again". I tried to sing, but couldn't as fat tears streamed down my cheeks. God had a lovely way of confirming for me that it certainly would be the last time I saw him alive, and while I was sad then...I'm certainly okay with his passing and am at peace now.
We've lost a good one, but I know I'll see him again. See you later, gramps. I love you.

~K~

3 comments:

Q&Z said...

Glad you got to spend some last moments with your Grandpa,sorry to hear the news.
xoxo
Z

Stacey said...

Beautiful post Karyn. I know exactly how you feel because you know that I lost my Papa a few months ago but it was bitter sweet because the suffering is finally over but we still feel the loss of our loved one. I think the picture you posted is wonderful! True picture of the wonderful memories that you are left with.

Karyn Clemens said...

Yep, bittersweet is definitely the right word. Although in the last few years he hasn't even felt like my grandpa...more like a shell of the man he used to be. The dementia really stole a lot of him away.

~K~